www.railuk.info

Fri 20 Oct 2017 04:28:34


 
 

British Railway Steam Locomotive

Top
Please read this statement on the accuracy of the data shown below

Note: To Obtain Consistency in the Steam System, Shed Codes used are those Registered at Nationalisation on 1st January 1948
Number32095
2nd Grouping Number
1st Grouping Numbersr 2095
2nd Pre Grouping Number
1st Pre Grouping Numberlbsc 95
Works/Lot Number
Class CodeE1R
DesignerStroudley W
Designation0-6-2T
Built30/11/1883
BuilderBrighton Works (SR/British Railways)
1948 Shed72E Barnstaple Junction
Last Shed72D Plymouth Friary
Withdrawn30/11/1956
Disposal details
DisposalCut Up
Disposal Datec1957
NotesRebuilt from Class E1 0-6-2T May 1927

Class Information

The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway E1 Class were 0-6-0T steam locomotives designed by William Stroudley in 1874 for short-distance goods and piloting duties. William Stroudley's class E 0-6-0 tank engine of 1874 was conceived as a larger, goods, version of his successful "Terrier". Cylinders, motion and boiler were the same as in his D Class 0-4-2 passenger tanks, with variations for the last seven.

The first six locomotives of this useful and long-lived class were built at Brighton and appeared in traffic between September 1874 and March 1875. They performed well and further orders were placed at regular intervals until December 1891 when the class consisted of eighty locomotives and were used throughout the LBSCR system, principally for goods and shunting, but occasionally for secondary passenger duties.

No. 133 was built in October 1878 and given the name Picardy, in keeping with the rest of the class whose names were all taken from places in Europe. Members of this class had a mixed life expectancy, the first to be scrapped being No. 148 Vienna, built in 1890 and scrapped in 1911. Others, such as 133, continued a long and successful career with quite a number lasting into British Railways days. The last six engines were built by RJ Billinton and were slightly different in that the dome was moved to the second ring of the boiler and a manhole cover, with whistle, was fixed over the firebox. These six were also given different chimneys, to Billinton's design, (a cast-iron type in one piece) and were known as Class E1, subsequently all the earlier engines also became known as Class E1 in the time of D. E. Marsh and were generally known as "E-tanks" or "Black Tanks". Working most of their post-1923 lives on the Brighton section, a few went to work at Southampton Docks, the Isle of Wight and some, after conversion to Class E1/R Radial 0-6-2T in Southern Railway days, to the Torrington-Halwill line of the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway.

No. 89 Brest was rebuilt in 1911 with new, larger tanks and a new cab and bunker and re-classified as Class E1x. No. 157 Barcelona (the last to be built by Stroudley), was built in 1884 expressly to work the Polegate-Eridge Line, between Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells, with Gladstone-type 18 x 26 in cylinders, larger tanks and bunker, a non-standard larger boiler and air and wheel reversing gear, with valves underneath to work on the steeply-graded lines and was officially classified as being "E Special". This Special E-tank was withdrawn in 1922. No. 96 Salzberg suffered the indignity of an incorrect name, the Austrian city that she was named after is, of course, Salzburg.

After 1894/5 the class gradually began to be replaced by R.J. Billinton's radial tanks of the E3 and E4 classes. Withdrawals commenced in 1908 when one locomotive was broken up for spares, and others were withdrawn at intervals until May 1914, when the increased need for locomotives during the First World War meant that there were no further withdrawals. One locomotive (no.89) was rebuilt with a larger boiler by D. E. Marsh in 1911 and reclassified E1X and renumbered 89A. However this was rebuilt back to a E1 in 1930 once the boiler was condemned.

Under Southern Railway (Great Britain) ownership, withdrawals continued during the 1920s, with some examples sold to industrial railways rather than scrapped. Eight examples were also rebuilt as 0-6-2 radial tank engines for use in the west of England. These were classified as E1/R.

During the early years of the Southern Railway some ex-LBSCR locomotives were tried out on other lines, particularly in the West Country. The case with the class E1/R was a little different though as they were rebuilt from 0-6-0T to 0-6-2T to be used on the North Devon and Cornwall Junction line. The experiment was not altogether successful (in common with the attempt to modify ex-LBSCR D1 class locomotives for the Lyme Regis branch) but despite this some ten locomotives were rebuilt as 0-6-2 Radial tanks, with larger bunkers, 170lb boilers and a rounded cab roof. The problem seemed to be with their balancing and four were re-balanced by Bulleid to produce a better result. The six that were not re-balanced were transferred to other duties, banking between Exeter St David's and Central, or shunting at Barnstaple. The class was designed for use on local passenger services in the West Country and were tested over several SR branches including very briefly the ex PDSWJR Callington branch. During the 1950s, members of this class still worked in the West Country and were to be found at Exmouth Junction, Plymouth Friary and Barnstaple and were used principally for handling local passenger services including the Halwill Junction to Torrington line

Ten examples survived the transfer of ownership to the Southern Region of British Railways in 1948 but during the 1950s they were gradually replaced by diesel shunters.

The first loco withdrawn by BR was 32094 in April 1955 from Plymouth Friary shed.
The last loco withdrawn was 32697 in January 1960 from Exmouth Junction shed and scrapped at Ashford Works later that year.

Technical Details

Power type : Steam
Introduced : May 1927
Configuration : 0-6-2T
Driver wheel diameter : 4 ft 6 ins (1.37 m)
Locomotive weight : 50 tons 5 cwt
Locomotive length : 32 ft 4 ins
Boiler pressure : 160 lb sq in (1.1 MPa)
Coal Capacity : 1 ton 10 cwt
Water Capacity : 900 gals
Cylinders : Two
Cylinder size : 17 in 24 in (inside) (430 mm 610 mm)
Valve Gear : Stephenson (slide valves)
Tractive effort : 18,560
Career : London Brighton and South Coast Railway, Southern Railway, Southern Region of British Railways
Class : E1/R
Power class L BR 2F

Books about Railway Sheds

Books about Railway Depots

Last Updated :

Back to Top

Primary Navigation

Top

Steam Loco Search