Wed 21 Feb 2018 17:10:42


Steam Locomotive Shed


Over & Wharton


Shed Information

OS Map Ref: SJ65636655


Images for Over & Wharton Shed

LMS/BR Stanier Black 5 Class 4-6-0 No. 45381 at Stoke Shed 1950
Date Photo Taken: 1950
Date Uploaded 09/07/2016
Image Owner/Copyright: Frank Wall
Views: 236
Comments: 0

LMS/BR Stanier Black 5 Class 4-6-0 No. 45381 at Stoke Shed 1950. Built by Armstrong Whitworth in July 1937 works number 1436, it was withdrawn from 26C Bolton shed in May 1968 and cut up by T.W. Ward, Killamarsh in August 1968.

The London Midland and Scottish Railway Class 5 4-6-0, almost universally known as the Black Five, is a class of steam locomotive. It was introduced by William Stanier in 1934 and 842 were built between then and 1951. Members of the class survived to the last day of steam on British Railways in 1968, and eighteen are preserved. This class of locomotive was often a favourite amongst drivers and railway fans.

The Black Fives were a mixed traffic locomotive, a 'do-anything go-anywhere' type, designed by Stanier, who had previously been with the GWR. In his early LMS days, he designed his Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 in which he experimented with the GWR school of thought on locomotive design. A number of details in this design he would never use again realising the superiority of details not used on the GWR. Stanier realised that there was a need for larger locomotives. These were to be the LMS version of the GWR Halls but not a copy, as the Hall was too wide to run most places in Britain. They shared similar cylinder arrangement (two outside), internal boiler design and size and 6 foot driving wheel diameters.

In their early days the locomotives were known as the "Black Staniers" from their black livery, in contrast to Stanier's other class of 4-6-0, the LMS Stanier Jubilee Class, which were painted crimson (and known until April 1935 as the 'Red Staniers'). Later on, the nickname of the former became 'Black Five', the number referring to the power classification. This was originally 5P5F, but from 1940 was shown on cabsides as the simple figure 5.

Books about Railway Sheds

Books about Railway Depots

Back to Top