British Railway History Item
LNER Class Ivatt Great Northern Railway C12 4-4-2 Tank
Built 1898-1907. Designed by Henry Alfred Ivatt.
Total Number Built 60 - Total to BR 49.
Introduced 1898. H. A. Ivatt Great Northern Railway (GNR) Class C2 design, mostly for use on London suburban services, being fitted with condensing apparatus for working through the Metropolitan tunnels.
On being replaced by the larger N2 0-6-2 tanks, this apparatus was removed and the class were scattered over a wide area, mainly working on country branches.
(a) 67354, 67398, & 67399 boiler pressure reduced to 170lb.
(b) 67356, 67386 & 67387 fitted with push-pull control apparatus in 1948-1949.
(c) = (a) and (b) 67363 & 67374.
Number Series 67350-67399 (except 67396).
Built at the Great Northern Railway Doncaster Works.
No Lot Nos. yet available.
Members of the class allocated to the Cambridge area of the Great Eastern worked on Saffron Walden trains, Cambridge to Sudbury to Colchester cross-country services and the Swaffam-Thetford and Bury St. Edmunds-Long Melford branch lines.
Ten of the class were withdrawn prior to the Second World War and consequently were not included in the LNER 1946 renumbering scheme. Most of the remainder lasted well into the 1950s, but all had gone by 1958.
The first two locos withdrawn were 67358 and 67378 on 16 January 1948 from Trafford Park shed.
The last loco withdrawn was 67397 on 6 December 1958 from Grantham shed.
None are preserved.
Motive Power Details
Weight: Loco 62 tons 6 cwt
Driving Wheel: 5' 8"
Boil Press: 175lb/sq in NS ; 170lb/sq in NS (a)
Cylinders: Two 18" x 26" (inside)
Valve Gear: Stephendon (slide valves)
TE: 18,425 lb ; 17,900 (a)
Class Total: 60
Allocation and Withdrawal Details
Last Updated : Monday 21st April 2003 13:52