British Railway History Item
LNER Class Holden J Great Eastern Railway J17 0-6-0
Built 1900-11. Designed by James Holden.
Total Number Built 90 - Total to BR 89.
Introduced 1900. J. Holden Great Eastern Railway (GER) design, since superheated.
Many locos rebuilt from the round-topped boiler Class J16 of 1900.
(a) Fitted with small tender.
65500/1/3-6/11/3/4/6-9/32/43 fitted with large tender by BR.
(b) Fitted later with tender-cab by BR.
(c) = (a) and (b).
Number Series 65501-65589 (except 65550).
Built at the Great Eastern Railway Stratford Works.
No Lot Nos. yet available.
This calss wes the freight version 'Claud Hamilton' Class D16, having the same sized boilers and identical cylinders. Instead of the Class D16 7ft driving wheels, it had the standard diameter for GER freight engines of 4ft 11in.
When built, the complete fleet was originally allocated to either March or Peterborough sheds for working the heavy freight and coal trains of the day. Having been rebuilt with Belpaire boilers, all the Class J16 engines were reclassified Class J17 by 1932 and the fleet continued to be the mainstay of these services until well after the Grouping of 1923.
Seventeen of the class were fitted with vacuum ejectors and steam heat connections between 1942 and 1951 for working passenger trains on the Midlan & Great Northern section where they replaced withdrawn Joint Line engines. Constructed with the intention of working only loose-coupled goods trtains, the remainder of the class were only fitted with steam brakes.
Of the ninety engines in the class, all but one entered the BR stock book, loco LNER No. 8200 (which would have become No. 65550) having being damaged beyond repair by a German V2 rocket at Stratford in November 1944.
A number of the class were moved away from their original Great Eastern environment and during World War II were part of an allocation of such diverse sheds as New England (Peterborough), Boston, Grantham and London's Hornsey and King's Cross. However, by 1943 all had returned to their roots and apart from the occasional sojourn to Midland & Great Northern and London Tilbury & Southend lines, they saw out their final years allocated to Stratford, Norwich and Cambridge Districts, until becomming one of the many victims of the East Anglian dieselisation programme.
The first loco withdrawn by the LNER was 8200 in November 1944 from Stratford shed.
The first loco withdrawn was ??? in 1959 from ??? shed.
The last loco withdrawn was ??? in 1967 from ??? shed.
Loco 65567 has been preserved as LNER No. 1217E.
Motive Power Details
Weight: Loco 45 tons 8 cwt
Tend 38 tons 5 cwt ; 30 tons 12 cwt (a)
Driving Wheel: 4' 11"
Boil Press: 180lb/sq in Su
Cylinders: Two 19" x 26" (inside)
Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
TE: 24,340 lb
Class Total: 90
Allocation and Withdrawal Details
Last Updated : Sunday 20th April 2003 17:51