The British Rail Class 01 diesel locomotive was a short wheelbase 0-4-0 diesel-mechanical design intended for use in areas with tight curves and
Four examples were built by Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. of Kilmarnock (Scotland) in 1956. They were numbered 11503-11506, then D2953-2956, and two
survived long enough to enter the BR TOPS system as 01 001 (D2954) and 01 002 (D2955). Their original depot allocation was to Stratford (30A). A fifth
similar locomotive was built in 1958 for departmental stock (maintenance work). It was originally No. 81 but was renumbered D2956 in July 1967 after
the original D2956 had been withdrawn.
The locomotives were very versatile, despite having only 153 horsepower (114 kW) available, and were small enough to operate on any railway on the BR
standard gauge network - except for the small problem that they were limited to 14 1/4 mph (22.8 km/h). For a fleet of just five locomotives, they
were also very reliable, although Stratford Docks, where they originally worked, was not noted for creating very hard labour.
01 001 and 01 002 survived in BR service because they were required to service the Holyhead breakwater, being the only locomotives light enough for
that track. 01 001 was not used after 1973 but was cannibalised for spare parts to keep its sister loco in service. 01 001 was withdrawn in 1979, and
01 002 followed in 1981. Both locomotives were cut up on site still carrying their original livery of British Railways black with black-and-yellow
"wasp stripe" warning ends and the original British Railways "unicycling lion" emblem; they were the last locomotives in BR service to do so.
Class 01 locomotives had a Gardner 6-cylinder in-line, 4-stroke 6L3 engine of 153 hp (114 kW) at 1,200 rpm connected to a Wilson SE4, 4-speed
epicyclic gear box with a Vulcan-Sinclair type 23 rigid hydraulic coupling, and a Wiseman 15LGB reverse and final drive unit. The wheels were
connected by coupling rods and driven by a jackshaft.
Two survive in preservation:
D2953 by Heritage Shunters Trust
The first D2956 on the East Lancashire Railway
Builder : Andrew Barclay Sons & Co.
Works Serial number : 395–398, 424
Build date : 1956 (4), 1958 (1)
Total produced : 5
Configuration : 0-4-0
UIC classification : B
Gauge : 4 ft 8 1/2 in (1,435 mm)
Wheel diameter : 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m)
Minimum curve : 1.06 chains (21 m)
Wheelbase : 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
Length : 23 ft 8 in (7.21 m)
Width : 8 ft 5 1/2 in (2.578 m)
Height : 11 ft 10 1/2 in (3.620 m)
Locomotive weight : 25 long tons (25 t)
Fuel capacity : 325 imp gal (1,480 l; 390 US gal)
Prime mover : Gardner 6L3
Engine RPM range : 1,200 (max)
Engine type : Four-stroke diesel
Transmission : Mechanical: Wilson SE4, 4-speed epicyclic gear box, Vulcan-Sinclair type 23 rigid hydraulic coupling, to a Wiseman 15LGB reverse and
final drive unit.
Top speed : 14.5 mph (23.3 km/h)
Power output : Engine: 153 hp (114 kW) at rail: 102 hp (76 kW)
Tractive effort : 12,750 lbf (56.7 kN) (max)
Locomotive brake : Straight Air
Locomotive : brakeforce 15 LTf (150 kN)
Train brakes : 11503–11506: none - 18: Vacuum
Number 11503–11506, 81 (departmental); later D2953-D2956; later 01001-01002
Axle load class : RA 1
Retired : 1966-1981
01 531.Built 1971 by the Hunslet Engine Company at Leeds (Works No.7018) for the National Coal Board Western Area (No.8D). Subsequently sold to Hunslet Barclay, Kilmarnock and rebuilt with a Caterpillar 3412C 640h.p. (475kW) engine prior to sale to the Felixstowe Dock and Railway Company in 1999 and registered for use on the Railtrack network. Tops Number was 01 531 and locomotive was named Colonel Tomline. Normally worked at Felixstowe South Container Terminal. After suffering wheel bearing damage, was taken out of service and in August 2012 was donated to the Museum. At present off site under repair and subsequent hire to pay off repair costs. In Felixstowe Dock and Harbour Rly Co livery which it will retain. Update from Curatorial Trustee, East Anglian Railway Museum 30.12.13